Unetbootin

Ideas to everything that could be useful. Proposals and tips for JonDonym programming.
verita

Unetbootin

Post by verita » Sun Feb 01, 2015 21:10

Unetbootin no longer works for downloading Live-DVd.
Error given:
'failed to load COM32 file menu.c32
boot: '
It was useful for placing the live-dvd on a specific partition without overwriting the other partition(s) on a USB.

Anybody else missing it?

Ochnö

Re: Unetbootin

Post by Ochnö » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:06

Don't you Remember,
The Fifth of November,
'Twas Gunpowder Treason Day,
I let off my gun,
And made'em all run.
And Stole all their Bonfire away.

verita

Post by verita » Tue Feb 03, 2015 15:52

Thanks Ochnö,
Since we are talking about partitions, were you able to shrink your yumi and make a second partition on the free space?

I'd like to have more than one partition on the USB (even if it is marginally 'not safe').

Thanks

Ochnö

Post by Ochnö » Tue Feb 03, 2015 17:02

verita wrote:Thanks Ochnö,
Since we are talking about partitions, were you able to shrink your yumi and make a second partition on the free space?
Neither Unebutin still YUMI shrink a USB stick.And how will you"shrink"YUMI? ;)
Unebutin has given me a hard time when I tried out some Linux distries.After a while it was impossibele to put new distros on the stick-so I switched to YUMI and it worked!
Put up to 15 distros on a stick,till it was full.
Since than I use YUMI
I'd like to have more than one partition on the USB (even if it is marginally 'not safe').

Thanks
Why more than one?
Btw. more than one doesn't makes anything worse or more unsafe as a USB stick already is-if you are a target for.... :lol:

But-two ways to do so:
G-Parted live
http://gparted.org/

second with a special driver from Hitachi.This works on windows
"xpfildrvr1224_320"
(works also with SDHC cards)

http://www.getusb.info/usb-hack-turn-a- ... ocal-disk/

https://translate.google.de/translate?h ... -umwandeln

Did this on eeePC 4G to put a 16GB SDHC on it,with more than one partition.
Don't you Remember,
The Fifth of November,
I let off my gun,
And made'em all run.

xg27

Post by xg27 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 21:46

verita wrote: It was useful for placing the live-dvd on a specific partition without overwriting the other partition(s) on a USB.

Anybody else missing it?
Having the live-dvd on a usbstick PARTITION may make Your live-dvd writeable during usage.And this kills the concept of using a live system.

This is not something i would miss....

It's just a matter of time before some of those people saving on usbsticks show up here and complain about their live-dvd having been modified during usage.

Ochnö

Post by Ochnö » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:31

xg27 wrote:
verita wrote: It was useful for placing the live-dvd on a specific partition without overwriting the other partition(s) on a USB.

Anybody else missing it?
Having the live-dvd on a usbstick PARTITION may make Your live-dvd writeable during usage.And this kills the concept of using a live system.

This is not something i would miss....

It's just a matter of time before some of those people saving on usbsticks show up here and complain about their live-dvd having been modified during usage.
what kind of "write protection"?
You are talking about the flag?
Who cares about this?
No exploit gives a sh** about a write protection flag!

Only a real phsycal write protection switch gives a little more security-but even this can be tricked out

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/272 ... tacks.html
Don't you Remember,
The Fifth of November,
I let off my gun,
And made'em all run.

xg27

Post by xg27 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50

Have You found a way to write the live-dvd directly onto a block device(as opposed to writing it onto a partition on it) and then write to it afterwards?

I have found none,even when plugging the written device into an already running system.I can only format it altogether and then write to it again.

Clarification:
When writing it directly to device (e.g. /dev/sdc as opposed to /dev/sdc1) it will show up as a partition,too,though a hidden partition.This can be confusing when using graphical tools as unetbootin and such.Because You easily end up not knowing what You actually did.

When stuck with win and said graphical tools,one can always write the .iso to a DVD on win,copy-paste the .iso onto some block device outside win and carrying a fat-filesystem,and then reboot from the DVD and use it to read the .iso from said block device and write it to the target-usbstick by the means of dd.To find out who is who among Your block devices <lsblk> could be used or <dmesg |tail> right after plugging in the device in question.The burned DVD would be kept solely for the purpose of writing future live-dvd versions to (the) target device.

Now, me not finding a way to write onto a live-dvd directly written to a device does not guarantee that nobody ever will.Therefore I recommend running (any) live-dvd either from DVD or, when running it from usbstick then all-in-RAM by the means of bootparam <toram>.Then unplug it before going online or connecting to any network whatsoever and never replug it after going online or after having been online.Replug Your usbstick only after shutdown or a fresh reboot. (after reboot You shouldn't need it anyway)

P.S:Your running system,after being compromised over the network,writing to its files on harddisk or usbstick and such making the compromising permanent is one thing, and getting attacked by a piece of beforehand prepared hardware(such as a usbstick) is one entirely different thing.We are adressing here the first of the two.On the second of the two,a global attack of this kind by the means of widespread distribution of beforehand prepared hardware will sooner or later be detected by someone.Against a personalized attack targeted at You You can protect Yourself by walking to a retailer and pick Your hardware item from the shelf Yourself.

And then never let it out of Your sight again.lol!

xg27

Post by xg27 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 19:25

P.S.: it's iso9660 filesystem may protect the live-dvd to some degree even when written to a usb partition but I would not rely on it.

I have no win installed to check this out and,frankly,I don't want to install one for this.