Live-DVD with password and ' hdparm -y /dev/sda '

Ideas to everything that could be useful. Proposals and tips for JonDonym programming.
Imat

Live-DVD with password and ' hdparm -y /dev/sda '

Post by Imat » Sun Jul 06, 2014 14:53

When using above , one can access any of the other partitions on the hd with no pw challenge.

However, when using same on Trails, accessing partitions can be done only after entering the pw.

Hope that this observation will be useful to the developer to consider making changes.

And thanks again for the good work

xg27

Re: Live-DVD with password and ' hdparm -y /dev/sda

Post by xg27 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 22:11

This may be due to different mount-policies of jondo-live-cd and tails respectively. I recall tails having a different mount-policy.Haven't used it for some time, though.
Mount-policy may be subject to joyce.....

Wanna be really sure?

Rip the damn harddrive out!

Any command can basically be undone/overruled by another command, and passwords can be recovered by high profile attackers.

Imat

Post by Imat » Wed Jul 23, 2014 22:34

xg27 wrote:?

Did u really do this?
And how did it work?

xg27

Post by xg27 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 21:57

Imat wrote:
xg27 wrote:?

Did u really do this?
And how did it work?
Yup.
Works fine.
I boot from optical media or external (usb)drives; various live systems. BIOS is instructed accordingly. I always load the live-systems entirely to RAM and remove the media/drive before going online; needs a good sized RAM. Personal files are transferred via air gap, very cautiously and only those really needed.

Of course, one can have a more sizable classic system on a larger external drive, say, for graphical design and such, but that would be strictly for offline work. In terms of speed the bottleneck is the (usb)connection, again it helps to have plenty of RAM.

Main security tool is <reboot>.