JonDoNym for OpenWRT Routers

Ideas to everything that could be useful. Proposals and tips for JonDonym programming.
3wheels1life

JonDoNym for OpenWRT Routers

Post by 3wheels1life » Thu Nov 14, 2013 23:40

Hi everyone,

I think it would be great if JonDoNym was available in the repository for OpenWRT, complete witha LuCI (Openwrt's web GUI) configuration program. This way all connections through the OpenWRT-based router would flow through JonDoNym without installing it on computers/tablets. Since OpenWRT is based on GNU/Linux, this would likely work. I doubt it would support Java though...

www.openwrt.org

cane

Re: JonDoNym for OpenWRT Routers

Post by cane » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:05

I think, it violates the security concept of JonDonym. Encryption has to be done on your local computer and the proxy client JonDo has to run on your local computer.

But if you trust your LAN and you installed Java on OpenWRT ("headless" JRE is sufficient, full JRE is not requiered) you may use the GUI-less JonDoConsole.jar proxy client on OpenWRT, see: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... nsole.html

Download: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... nsole.html
(You may use the Version for Windows/MacOS on OpenWRT.)

1. First set a password for the remote control port of JonDoConsole:

Code: Select all

java -jar JonDoConsole.jar -t
2. Afterwards you may start JonDoConsole in Daemon mode and set the listen interface for the proxy by command line option "-n" and the remote control port by command line option "-d":

java -jar JonDoConsole.jar -n 192.168.1.1:4001 -d localhost:4004
3. To manage the running daemon you may start a remote controler interface. It connects to the running daemon listen at the interface you specify by command line option "-i":

java -jar JonDoConsole.jar -i localhost:4004
(If you replace "localhost" in the daemon start command with the IP address of your router you may start the remote controler on each computer in the LAN and don't need to login to the router.)

4. You have to modify the proxy settings in JonDoFox/JonDoBrowser of your local computer to use the "JonDo" proxy client on OpenWRT. You have to open the URL "about:config" and set the host for "JonDo". See online help: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... fox2a.html
extensions.jondofox.jondo.host = 192.168.1.1
(In my examples I assumed, the IP address of your router is 192.168.1.1. Please adapt it to your network.)

3wheels1life

Post by 3wheels1life » Tue Nov 19, 2013 21:29

Thanks cane.
I didn't know this was already possible.

Have a great week!

-3wheels1life

3wheels1life

Post by 3wheels1life » Mon Dec 16, 2013 0:12

I think JonDoNym should have a LuCI app for OpenWRT.
This would enable configuration via a GUI running in the browser.
It could be added to the repositories for OpenWRT and people could easily enjoy JonDoNym's anonymization services on their computer.

-3wheels1life

cane

Post by cane » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:52

1: As I wrote above: it violates the security concept of JonDonym. Encryption has to be done on your local computer and the proxy client JonDo has to run on your local computer.

2: The JonDo client was designed to follow the security concept of JonDonym. The goal was to serve one user per proxy client. May be JonDo can at serve 3-4 users at max. but not a LAN with 10 or more users. It is not implemented like powerful router- or proxy-software (like Squid or Dante proxies).

3: We have only limited developer effort.

-> We will not go for a JonDonym client for OpenWRT.

If someone else will provide a OpenWRT package of JonDoDaemon, will help in case of questions. Our software is Open Source.