All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Looking to join JonDo but have a few Q's
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:53 

Hi

Ive been blown away by the site and I'd like to join JonDonym but I have a few fairly simple questions.

I currently use a VPN service (SurfSolo) and still have 6 months left which I have already paid for also I have a 20gb download limit each month to use

Would it be possibale to use both Jondo and surfsolo ?? I've downloaded jondo firefox browswer (I already use firefox as my default browser for surfsolo) - But when I open firefox I'm now asked to select which profile I'd like to open - default or Jondo would it be possiable to continue to have my default with my current VPN and jondo browser setup to run on the premium service with proxycapp etc etc ???

Post subject: Re: Looking to join JonDo but have a few Q's
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 14:14 

barry123 wrote:
Hi

Ive been blown away by the site and I'd like to join JonDonym but I have a few fairly simple questions.

I currently use a VPN service (SurfSolo) and still have 6 months left which I have already paid for also I have a 20gb download limit each month to use

Would it be possibale to use both Jondo and surfsolo ?? I've downloaded jondo firefox browswer (I already use firefox as my default browser for surfsolo) - But when I open firefox I'm now asked to select which profile I'd like to open - default or Jondo would it be possiable to continue to have my default with my current VPN and jondo browser setup to run on the premium service with proxycapp etc etc ???

Here is my experience. I have used JonDo with a VPN (for testing purposes) in the past. If you use a VPN with JonDo, you don't need a Socksifier like Proxycap or Proxifier to protect you from Flash and Java. What normally happens is this. Your whole internet is encrypted by the VPN; it is with this VPN IP you enter the JonDo network.

Generally, I think it is a bad idea for two reasons.

1. If you enter the free JonDo network with a VPN your connection will be super slow and there is no guarantee you will have access.
2. If you enter the paid JonDo network with a VPN your connection will be fast but then you will be paying double the money (for the VPN and JonDo services).

You could, however, combine the VPN service to the JonDoFox browser without the JonDo proxy--this gives you a safer FireFox browser but without the JonDo network.

When you download the JonDo IP changer and the JonDoFox browser, set the default proxy to "No Proxy." This deactivates your from the JonDo network but gives you the JonDoFox browser.

Ultimately, you are best off either picking JonDo or a VPN service (JonDo is more secure and anonymous) than using both.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 14:22 

"Ultimately, you are best off either picking JonDo or a VPN service (JonDo is more secure and anonymous) than using both."

Sorry I dont follow this surely if I was to enter the Jondo network with my VPN IP I'd be far safer as it adds an extra layer. Yes cost would be an issue but I'd use my vpn for downloads and the two combined for higher browsing security.

My question is can it be done ?? can I use both my VPN (which is currently set in firefox to be the default connection so will not load unless connecting to my proz)

And if so how ??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 15:59 

SurfSolo is a SSH-proxy. I did not found any useful tutorial on website of SecurStar about usage of internet applications together with SurfSolo.

I assume, you set a proxy in your browser. The proxy is your local SurfSolo client. Please tell us, how did you use SurfSolo with your webbrowser or any other internet application.

You may use it with JonDo in the same way. A tutorial for proxy configuration in JonDo you may find in our online help: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... tml#fproxy

Your browser has to send the traffic to JonDo, JonDo send the traffic to your SurfSolo Client, it passes the VPN Server, goes through the mix cascades to the destination server.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 16:16 

barry123 wrote:
"Ultimately, you are best off either picking JonDo or a VPN service (JonDo is more secure and anonymous) than using both."

Sorry I dont follow this surely if I was to enter the Jondo network with my VPN IP I'd be far safer as it adds an extra layer. Yes cost would be an issue but I'd use my vpn for downloads and the two combined for higher browsing security.

My question is can it be done ?? can I use both my VPN (which is currently set in firefox to be the default connection so will not load unless connecting to my proz)

And if so how ??

First, in regard to the issue of an "extra layer": of course, a layer would give you more protection. But there are other ways to layer JonDo than the service you are using. You could, for example, layer with Tor or any other proxy; or you could use a free VPN service or a better (paid) VPN service. My argument is this: it is not worth the extra money to use both services together. The extra layer you receive is not worth the money. If you want a superior extra layer then layer JonDo with Tor--this is far more anonymous. And it is free.

With normal VPN services you don't have to change the proxy configuration of Firefox--you simply connect to the JonDo network from the VPN connection. There is nothing required of you extra except to download the JonDo client and browser. However, if the service you are using requires you to change the network configuration of Firefox than this is a different matter altogether.

In this case, you would have to create a "custom" proxy in the JonDoFox browser. Open the JonDoFox browser; at the top left or bottom right click on "preferences." Click on "Custom Proxy Configuration." Add the configuration you want. Then change the Proxy to "custom."

Then use this "custom" proxy setting for surfing via the JonDoFox browser.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 17:18 

Hi barry and welcome to the board.

Now if you happen to be an expert/advanced user, please disregard what I am saying. But if you are a beginner/average user (like myself), this should be of interest as a starting point:

One can use JonDo with regular Firefox. But Firefox needs at least one modifications : Click on 'Edit' at the left upper corner | Preferences | Advanced | Network |Settings | Manual proxy and Enter '127.0.0.1' for all 'Proxies' and for all 'Port' : '4001' and for 'No Proxy' enter 'localhost' ".

This is just a beginning to allow the use of Firefox with JonDo. You will have to figure things out as suggested by cane or give him the info that he needs to advise further.

Additionally, I suggest that you look into using Linux instead of Windows. Especially the LiveCD is quite helpful for privacy.

And if you are just an average user, please don't be overwhelmed by all the staff you read. Everything will fall in place soon!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:10 

Hi and thanks for the replys

I have my prozy configured via firefox via

Options > advanced > network > config how FF connects to internet > manual prox settings (ticked use this proxy for all protocols

would I config jondo in this way ?? Jondo connects to my VPN then to the mix servers ?? getting lost somewhere...

Sorry fairly all new to me

thanks verita - I think calling myself a average user is somewhat optimsictic, thanks for the words of advise !!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 20:23 

barry123 wrote:
Hi and thanks for the replys

I have my prozy configured via firefox via

Options > advanced > network > config how FF connects to internet > manual prox settings (ticked use this proxy for all protocols

would I config jondo in this way ?? Jondo connects to my VPN then to the mix servers ?? getting lost somewhere...

Sorry fairly all new to me

thanks verita - I think calling myself a average user is somewhat optimsictic, thanks for the words of advise !!!

Not to worry. When I first started with JonDo it was not easy. What is great about JonDo is that it teaches you about real Internet anonymity. Most VPNs and VPN providers can never equal the service found here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 

Quote:
would I config jondo in this way ?? Jondo connects to my VPN then to the mix servers ??
Yes.

Open the configuration dialog of JonDo, go to the network section and enter the proxy settings for your VPN client. See: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... tml#fproxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 22:58 

OK I get how to config Jondo firefox browser but how do I make the exit traffic from my VPN then enter the mix cascades ?? I'd be looking at buying a package also