All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Anonymity vs ISP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 19:15 

Hello to you. :D

I have said, using JAP-Jondo your ISP (Internet Service Provider) can not know your IP but it can see the contents of the web page you visit (texts, images, ...), because information is not encrypted when it passes through the ISP; however, using VPN, your ISP can not see the content.
Is it true?

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Anonymity vs ISP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 20:04 

If you were using JonDonym your traffic goes multible encrypted trough your ISP. The ISP can not read any data. A VPN provider can read your traffic, but because of multible encryption JonDonym protects you for spying by mix operators too.

Benefits of JonDonym in comparision with VPN
See: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/benefits.html

1: Trust gained through indepence, responsibility and knowledge

JonDonym servers are operated by independent entities commited to protecting your data. Because these operators are independent from each other, no single organization has complete information about you. Your anonymity is fully protected, unlike alternatives like (Web-)Proxies and VPNs, which are often controlled by a single party and can be easily exploited thereby. In many cases, these parties, their background and their intent are unknown, unlike JonDonym operators.

2: Global distribution across countries and oceans

When you surf the web your requests travel across different relay points before serving the web page. Like an Internet provider, each of these relay points can monitor your entire data traffic on its way towards its destination, e.g. a website or an e-mail service. By analyzing this data, the relay points may completely deanonymize VPN services and (web-) proxies which only have only one single server location. But with JonDonym, you are protected! Each of JonDonym's premium services consists of several servers in several different countries as well as their operators. It would require international cooperation between countries or operator organizations for your information to be revealed.

3: High speed surfing

JonDonym's premium services are as fast as VPN services and as the fastest (Web-) proxies. JonDonym - Surf, no lag, guaranteed!

4: Secure browsing

Your browser can become a gateway for malicious software, spyware, and viruses designed to harm your PC and your privacy. (Web-) proxies and VPN- services offer no protection against bad software and can be easily exploited. The JonDoFox browser profile is JonDonym's solution to protect your anonymity and your PC.

5: Browse, Chat, E-Mail... Anonymously!

Other anonymization services like web proxies often restrict your Internet access to web surfing. JonDonym introduces new possibilities making you invisible on the internet like anonymous chats or e-mail.

6: Protect against web profiling

JonDonym strengthens your anonymity by applying a special technique. Every request is anonymized separately so tracking your web habits is impossible, even for JonDonym operators. This works, because JonDonym does not create a constant connection between you and the JonDonym network exit point, but a new connetion for each individual web request. This technique proves JonDonym is in a league of its own.

7: Anonymity, the vision...

Most other anonymity services deploy standard technologies. These technologies were not designed to defend your anonymity and fail to fully protect you. For this reason, an experienced research team stands behind JonDonym technologies which cooperates with universities and searches tirelessly for new solutions to provide you the best in anonymity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 21:21 

Thank you for your very clear answer, cane. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:33 

I was wondering if after giving temporary cookies and script permission in Jondofox, whether I am still hidden from the internet. This detailed explanation tells me Yes I am still hidden.

Next question is why then do we still need WIDECAP, why can't jondonym take care what WideCap is providing.

Because using WideCap introduces other problems because there are so many settings you have to consider and if you did not set certain settings correctly you are not able to access certain websites.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 

kodok2cowok wrote:
I was wondering if after giving temporary cookies and script permission in Jondofox, whether I am still hidden from the internet. This detailed explanation tells me Yes I am still hidden.

Correct.

kodok2cowok wrote:
Next question is why then do we still need WIDECAP, why can't jondonym take care what WideCap is providing. Because using WideCap introduces other problems because there are so many settings you have to consider and if you did not set certain settings correctly you are not able to access certain websites.

WideCap/ProxyCap go deeply into the operating system, which needs a heavy amount of programming work. We currently don't have the programming resources to introduce this into JonDo, especially not for all operating systems. Moreover, this is not a killer feature, as Java and Flash provide even more information than just you IP address (this may only be fixed by using a virtual machine). We will add further Java/Flash information to the tests soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:13 

The NOSCRIPT application used in Jondonym (JondoFox) is that the same as the NOSCRIPT from InForm Action outfit?

What is the difference between using their NOSRRIPT in FireFox and Jondonym in FireFox.
My guess is of course anonymity but since I have not installed NoScript from InformAction I have no idea if that also allows it to run anonymously.

I appreciate your comments
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 

kodok2cowok wrote:
The NOSCRIPT application used in Jondonym (JondoFox) is that the same as the NOSCRIPT from InForm Action outfit?
Thanks

It is 100% the same software. We just changed some default settings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:59 

cane wrote:
3: High speed surfing

JonDonym's premium services are as fast as VPN services and as the fastest (Web-) proxies. JonDonym - Surf, no lag, guaranteed!

Cane
I did use premium services before, however my experience of surfing anonymously is not something I enjoyed ( I don't mean to be negative just convey information) because I waist more time waiting for the page to load.
My connection is 1.5MB downl, 380KB upl. This is not the fastest but for normal internet connection it is decent, downloading 4.7MB takes less than a minute. A 6MB speed is either not available or some charge very high fees.
Maybe you have to qualify the above statement.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 

Quote:
My connection is 1.5MB downl, 380KB upl.
You have a fast internet connection. It is not possible to get this speed with a multihop anonymisation service.

My max. speed with premium services is 350 MB/s.

If your location is USA or Canada and you want to access a server hosted in US your traffic is crossing 2 times the Atlantic. In this case the the fastes mix cascade is Locke-Goose-Pluto with aprox. 300 MB/s for you. All other cascades have a speed less than 200 MB/s for you.

If your location is in Europe, you will get more the 300 MB/s with most european mix cascades.

If you location is Russia or east Europe, you may get best speed with Hermes-Berwald-Merkur, but I do not know the speed values because we don't have a measurment point in east Europe.