Jon,Tor and remote desktop protocol

If sometime something does not work...
fizzypop

Jon,Tor and remote desktop protocol

Post by fizzypop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 22:17

* I have Tor chained to Jondo, is it possible to access a remote desktop protocol using tor through Jondo ? If so how would this be achieved ?

* Is it possible in anyway to "fingerprint" your computer when accessing a RDP, what would be the best counter measures ?

xg27

Re: Jon,Tor and remote desktop protocol

Post by xg27 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 20:41

* I have Tor chained to Jondo, is it possible to access a remote desktop protocol using tor through Jondo ? If so how would this be achieved ?
I don't think You are trying to run a hidden service on the inet (You would sound different) so I assume You connect to Your Home or Office machine from abroad (remotly). But what's the point in doing that anonymously? What You do need for this is good encryption so observers en route of Your communication cannot tell what you talk to Your Home or Office machine.

fizzypop

Post by fizzypop » Mon Sep 05, 2016 16:35

Thank again for your input xg27

No I'm not running a hidden service just a very basic user. I'm using windows RDP, I'm guessing I have no control over the encryption that is used ?

xg27

Post by xg27 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18

I'm using windows RDP, I'm guessing I have no control over the encryption that is used ?
Well, seemingly You do have control over it. But ultimatly You may have not due to lack of really effective options and due to general Win restrictions not much talked about by Micros*ft.

Encryption consists of a cipher (algorithm) and a key. The cipher is to be publicly known for assessment while the key is to be kept secret for the encryption's integrity (this applies to a symmetric key as well as the private key in asymmetric encryption).So the quality of the cipher combined with the size of Your key (xy bit;the bigger the better) makes the strength of Your encryption. You would want to choose a high quality cipher according to Your judgement and liking (twofish comes to my mind or possibly camellia) and use it with a sizeable key.

Take a look on this:

>https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... esktop-ses

If this:

>https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

is up to date and the therein mentioned RF4 and DES ciphers still are Your only available options then IMHO this constitutes a breakfast joke. Keeps You laughing all day. Plainly look what wikipedia says about RF4 and DES.Also keep in mind that us-crypto export restrictions most likly have applied to Your Win. And then, all this is implemented in a proprietry operating system originating from a corporate vendor. Before believing anything they say, remember what they tell You in advertising and then some.

Instead of trying to doctor a dead patient why not aim to run a freed-code operating system? ReactOS might be worth looking at. Free code, yet designed to look and feel like Win and said to be capable of running many Win applications. I don't know whether it will run on Your hardware, though. You can try the live-cd without installing it on Your machine. And there are many, many other options for beginners, mainly linuxes.

Or read this:

>http://web.syllable.org/pages/about.html

and judge Yourself whether it makes sense or not.

There must be more than 50 free distributions out there You can try as a live-cd without installing them and without building the live-cd first. Later You can install one or even two or three alongside Your Win and have the joice between those and Win every time You fire up Your machine. And believe me, the day will come when You won't need Your Win anymore.