Jondo no longer able cascade Tor using Port 9150

If sometime something does not work...
mirimir

Re: Jondo no longer able cascade Tor using Port 9150

Post by mirimir » Thu Jul 31, 2014 20:37

sovereignpress wrote:
mirimir wrote:
Partbit wrote:can you give this to the community in laymen terms please ?
In the machine that's running Tor, you need to find Tor's configuration file. In standalone Tor installs, it's named "torrc". In Linux, it's in /etc/tor/. In Windows, I think that it's in application data. In Tor browser bundle, the Tor configuration file is named "torrc-defaults", which is located in tor-browser_[language]/Data/Tor/.

Just add the line "SocksPort 9150". It doesn't really matter where you add it, but putting it in the default ports area might be less confusing in the long run.
Technically speaking, there is no definte article "the" before SocksPort...however, I'm not sure we understand each other.

First, the TorBrowser by default already has SocksPort 9150, so why add it? And second, I fail to see how this would add Tor support in the JonDo client.
I'm sorry ... I confused myself.

I should have said to add the line "SocksPort 9050".

Standalone Tor installs still have "SocksPort 9050" by default. But they switched to "SocksPort 9150" in Tor browser to avoid port conflict for people running both standalone Tor and Tor browser.

sovereignpress

Post by sovereignpress » Thu Jul 31, 2014 21:23

mirimir wrote:I'm sorry ... I confused myself.

Standalone Tor installs still have "SocksPort 9050" by default. But they switched to "SocksPort 9150" in Tor browser to avoid port conflict for people running both standalone Tor and Tor browser.
Yes, I thought so, but it still does not work. I changed it to SocksPort 9050, and the TorBrowser no longer works right. I then added SOCKS 9050 to the JonDo client, and JonDo does not work either.

So what is missing here...?

You have in fact, in the JonDo client, added SOCKS 9050, and made a connection? Are you sure your Tor daemon was off, and the connection was made from the TorBrowser, which was converted from SocksPort 9150 to SocksPort 9050?

mirimir

Post by mirimir » Thu Jul 31, 2014 22:29

sovereignpress wrote:
mirimir wrote:I'm sorry ... I confused myself.

Yes, I thought so, but it still does not work. I changed it to SocksPort 9050, and the TorBrowser no longer works right. I then added SOCKS 9050 to the JonDo client, and JonDo does not work either.

So what is missing here...?
Don't change "SocksPort 9150" to "SocksPort 9050" in Tor Browser's torrc-defaults. Just add a "SocksPort 9050" line. Then Tor browser will keep working.
sovereignpress wrote:You have in fact, in the JonDo client, added SOCKS 9050, and made a connection? Are you sure your Tor daemon was off, and the connection was made from the TorBrowser, which was converted from SocksPort 9150 to SocksPort 9050?
I haven't used JonDo yet. I'm just saying that one can add the SocksPort 9050 that the JonDo client expects. It's theoretical, I admit, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't work.

sovereignpress

Post by sovereignpress » Thu Jul 31, 2014 23:21

mirimir wrote:Don't change "SocksPort 9150" to "SocksPort 9050" in Tor Browser's torrc-defaults. Just add a "SocksPort 9050" line. Then Tor browser will keep working.
I tried this. No go. It does not work. I tried adding the line "SocksPort 9050" in multiple places (just to be sure) in torrc-defaults, and while TorBrowser works, the JonDo client does not.
I haven't used JonDo yet. I'm just saying that one can add the SocksPort 9050 that the JonDo client expects. It's theoretical, I admit, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't work.
So let me get this straight, you come on the forum, and propose a theory that you have never tried, and in fact have never even used JonDo? When you do this, you confuse readers on this forum as to what works and what does not. I advise you next time to first test it, and see if it works before publishing on a forum.

If by chance I am doing something wrong, and you or someone else reading this thread gets it to work, please let us know. And also, bear in mind if using Tor daemon, you must first stop Tor daemon, otherwise the results will not accurately reflect the thesis.

PS. By the way, I do not think the problem rests in the fact Tor changed its port for 9150. This is not why the JonDo client cannot connect first from Tor. And from what I have seen, adding SocksPort 9050 to the TorBrowser does not remedy the problem.

mirimir

Post by mirimir » Thu Jul 31, 2014 23:37

sovereignpress wrote:
mirimir wrote:Don't change "SocksPort 9150" to "SocksPort 9050" in Tor Browser's torrc-defaults. Just add a "SocksPort 9050" line. Then Tor browser will keep working.
I tried this. No go. It does not work. I tried adding the line "SocksPort 9050" in multiple places (just to be sure) in torrc-defaults, and while TorBrowser works, the JonDo client does not.
So let me get this straight, you come on the forum, and propose a theory that you have never tried, and in fact have never even used JonDo? When you do this, you confuse readers on this forum as to what works and what does not. I advise you next time to first test it, and see if it works before publishing on a forum.

If by chance I am doing something wrong, and you or someone else reading this thread gets it to work, please let us know. And also, bear in mind if using Tor daemon, you must first stop Tor daemon, otherwise the results will not accurately reflect the thesis.

PS. By the way, I do not think the problem rests in the fact Tor changed its port for 9150. This is not why the JonDo client cannot connect first from Tor. And from what I have seen, adding SocksPort 9050 to the TorBrowser does not remedy the problem.
You're right. I apologize.

I'll see if I can find out from tor-talk. And I'll test myself.

JohnHenry

Post by JohnHenry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:57

*headbang* you are talking esoteric Homeopathy ******

1st. rule:K.I.S.S.! = keep it simpel stupid!

Sec. JonDo->Tor ist still working if you brake the 1st. rule and use
http://www.privoxy.org/

On top before talking about things you don't understand and maybe never will-read the papers of people which developed JAP\JonDo!

https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... edits.html

sovereignpress

Post by sovereignpress » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32

JohnHenry wrote:*headbang* you are talking esoteric Homeopathy ******

On top before talking about things you don't understand and maybe never will-read the papers of people which developed JAP\JonDo!

I'm not sure your comments are helpful to our friend or to the community in general.

I would also point out that there are multiple ways of connecting to JonDo from the TorBrowser (SocksPort 9150), without using Privoxy, which I was the one to have suggested in the first place.

Please, let us be cordial.

mirimir

Post by mirimir » Fri Aug 01, 2014 21:10

sovereignpress wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:*headbang* you are talking esoteric Homeopathy ******

I'm not sure your comments are helpful to our friend or to the community in general.

I would also point out that there are multiple ways of connecting to JonDo from the TorBrowser (SocksPort 9150), without using Privoxy, which I was the one to have suggested in the first place.

Please, let us be cordial.
Thanks sovereignpress, but my skin is quite thick :)

I have verified that JAP/JonDo uses SocksPort 9050 in Tor v0.2.3.25 but not in v0.2.4.20. I'm working in an Ubuntu 14.04.1 x64 VM in VirtualBox, and using standalone Tor only (no Tor browser). After verifying that it worked using Tor v0.2.3.25 from the saucy repo, I cloned the VM and upgraded to Tor v0.2.4.20 in the clone. That broke SocksPort 9050 for JAP/JonDo.

There's a question at https://tor.stackexchange.com/questions ... an-that-be

Maybe someone will have an answer.

mirimir

Post by mirimir » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:07

OK, Tor v0.2.3.25 works, but v0.2.4.19 doesn't. There were numerous changes in v0.2.4.19, given that it's the first stable release in the 2.4 branch. For the curious, see https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git?a ... leaseNotes at v0.2.4.19.

To narrow it down, I'll be testing these interim releases:

tor-0.2.4.14-alpha
tor-0.2.4.15-rc
tor-0.2.4.16-rc
tor-0.2.4.17-rc
tor-0.2.4.18-rc

mirimir

Post by mirimir » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:12

The problem, in my case, seems to be in the Tor binaries. JonDo does not connect through SocksPort 9050 using Ubuntu binaries for Tor v0.2.4.19 (from Ubuntu 12.04 repository), Tor v0.2.4.20 (from Ubuntu 14.04 aka trusty repository), or Tor v0.2.4.23 (from Tor Project repository for trusty).

However, JonDo does connect just fine through SocksPort 9050 using either Tor v0.2.4.20 or Tor v0.2.4.23 that I've built in Ubuntu 14.04.1 x64 from https://git.torproject.org/tor.git with no custom build flags. Tor v0.2.4.23 is the latest stable release. I haven't tested anything from the v0.2.5 branch.

I don't know why the stock Ubuntu binaries aren't working with JonDo. Maybe it's one of the build flags. Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I don't care. I fully upgraded Ubuntu 14.04.1 before building.

I haven't tested in Windows, because I don't care about that either ;) But maybe there's something analogous going on.

Anyway, here's how to build from https://git.torproject.org/tor.git on Debian, Ubuntu, etc:

sudo apt-get install git build-essential automake libevent-dev libssl-dev
git clone https://git.torproject.org/tor.git
cd tor
./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-asciidoc
make
sudo make install