anonymous browsing with IXQUICK

Questions about organisation, special technical questions, troll plain
kodok2cowok

anonymous browsing with IXQUICK

Post by kodok2cowok » Tue Dec 17, 2013 20:59

I have used Ixquick search engine on Firefox and Safari and did the Jondo IP test,
I am happy to know that my IP address is hidden.
What is so nice about this search engine is there is no complicated setup, all you have to do is go to their website and choose it as your search engine and click ADD to whatever Browser you are using.
It is a Dutch search engine and they emphasize to protect you from NSA snooping.
Here are Startpage/Ixquick Warranties:

European Privacy Seal
On July 14th 2008 Ixquick received the first European Privacy Seal from European Data Protection Supervisor Mr. Peter Hustinx. The Seal officially confirms the privacy promises we make to our users. It makes Ixquick the first and only EU-approved search engine. Both EU Commissioner Viviane Reding and Dr.Thilo Weichert, German Privacy Commissioner complimented Startpage on its privacy achievements.
You can find the press release here.

Certified Secure's security professionals have assisted Startpage in the EuroPrise certification process.

Startpage has been registered with the Dutch Data Protection Authority (CBP) under number M 1346973.
This Authority supervises the fair and lawful use and security of your personal data, to ensure your privacy today and in the future.

kodok2cowok

Re: anonymous browsing with IXQUICK

Post by kodok2cowok » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:15

Did anyone try using IXQUICK, what I like to know is between Jondo and Ixquick their strength and weaknesses.
If someone will be kind enough to list the categories on this forum it will be highly appreciated.

sovereignpress

Post by sovereignpress » Sat Dec 28, 2013 15:24

kodok2cowok wrote:Did anyone try using IXQUICK, what I like to know is between Jondo and Ixquick their strength and weaknesses.
If someone will be kind enough to list the categories on this forum it will be highly appreciated.
Ixquick, or "Startpage," is old news. I think everyone knows (in this forum) about them. Same company. The proxy Startpage offers is very limited. It is a single hop proxy (I'm assuming). No scripts are allowed--no JavaScript and no plugins. It is very limited.

It cannot compare to JonDo, which is an onion network proxy that supports JavaScript and with some tweaking, plugins.

Huge difference. Startpage is only good in cases where a web page blocks Tor or JonDo IPs (natively) and you can access it with Startpage proxy. Also, you can use Startpage proxy in addition to JonDo for enhanced anonymity, but not much.

Startpage is good for those who are without a proxy or VPN and (who want) some small degree of anonymity.

kodok2cowok

Post by kodok2cowok » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:20

sovereign
Thanks for the info, you mention JonDo is an onion network proxy that supports JavaScript and with some tweaking, plugins. From what I read JavaScript is bad and should be turned off, apparently there is more to it and non-geeks like me are puzzled by it. For instance I have used Jondo Free and Premium, however I am not able to Login my Bank account, AOL webmail, Huffington forum actually most forum I am not able to participate anonymously and this goes for IXQUICK also.
With so many methods in setting up anonymity, non-geeks like me have difficulty to be able to use this technology to it's fully potential.
It would be nice if there is a fail safe anonymity setup so persons with no programming background can follow.

cane

Post by cane » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:58

however I am not able to Login my Bank account, AOL webmail, Huffington forum actually most forum I am not able to participate anonymously and this goes for IXQUICK also.
Please have a look at our online help about using JonDoFox: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... dofox.html

Javascript is disabled in JonDoFox by default for privacy and security reasons, but it is possible to enable Javascript and cookies for trusted websites (like your mail provider, your bank website and so on).

To learn more about the web tracking techniques and understand, why Javascript is disabled by default but possible to enable for trusted sites, you may read more about data collection techniques in our online help: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... chnik.html

xvegx

Post by xvegx » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:18

cane wrote:Javascript is disabled in JonDoFox by default for privacy and security reasons, but it is possible to enable Javascript and cookies for trusted websites (like your mail provider, your bank website and so on).
But it will not always help to enable Javascript or cookies.

There could also be stuff on the server side which could prevent the login.

Sometimes IP addresses are blacklisted .. and it is allowed to read the web page but it is disallowed to login or post something ..

sovereignpress

Post by sovereignpress » Mon Dec 30, 2013 20:49

xvegx wrote:
cane wrote:Javascript is disabled in JonDoFox by default for privacy and security reasons, but it is possible to enable Javascript and cookies for trusted websites (like your mail provider, your bank website and so on).
But it will not always help to enable Javascript or cookies.

There could also be stuff on the server side which could prevent the login.

Sometimes IP addresses are blacklisted .. and it is allowed to read the web page but it is disallowed to login or post something ..
This is very true...but I fear not the complete picture.

In my experience, sometimes even after you enable all scripts and cookies, a site may still not load...but not because of IP restrictions (which is also true).

The problem is the JonDoBrowser and JonDoFox.

If you try to visit litecoin.org, for example, it will not work with the JonDoBrowser. A person not familiar with the configuration may assume the website is down. But the site works fine with Firefox.

In some instances, in the past, I have not been able to load some sites with JonDoFox or the new browser.

If I use "proxychains" and redirect "Firefox" with JonDo or Tor, I can access the web pages without a problem.

The JonDoBrowser and JonDoFox are designed to protect our privacy--but some sites do not like that and so they will not load.

This may be the reason why some online banks do not allow JonDo (although in my experience banks have never been a problem).

cane

Post by cane » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:13

although in my experience banks have never been a problem
There are some more restrictions in JonDoFox and JonDoBrowser:

- SSLv3 is disabled because it is broken. Some sites can be used only with SSLv3 and not with TLS (it was reported for archive.org and some bank site too). Advanced user may have a look at our FAQ to get access to this sites: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... ox.html#1g

- DOMstorage is disabled and some sites don't work without HTML5 storage. TorProject.org developed a bugfix for TorBrowser, but the bugfix is not upstreamed to the Firefox code. If we will take the TorBrowser bugfix we can use it only for JonDoBrowser but not for JonDoFox. Bad situation.

You may enable DOMstorage for a website for a short time, but the problem is not easy to discover. I don't have a solution.

Karrahahu1

Post by Karrahahu1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50

Both EU Commissioner Viviane Reding and Dr.Thilo Weichert, German Privacy Commissioner complimented Startpage on its privacy achievements.???

Karrahahu1

Post by Karrahahu1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:27

Thanks for sharing this useful information === chess rivals ===