All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Many Basic (for some) Conceptual questions for better unders
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 18:10 

Sorry if ask again some basic questions over and over and sorry in advance for the big post. I have been reading your forum lately and I am thinking of purchasing one of your flat rate options, but firstly, I need to clear in my mind the use cases and the concept. Please confirm/comment on the below bullets:

1. I can always use the JonDoFox portable/(JonDoBrowser portable, I assume there is one, even though I have not found it yet) on an USB stick, regardless whether I am connected into the JonDonym or not (i.e. surfing normally over my normal Internet connection or via my VPN connection).

2. (JonDo & VPN) Yes, I do plan to get a VPN service too. Yes I know you may think it’s an overkill but I need it for P2P, big downloads, streaming, youtube downloads etc. So, regarding the coexistence of Jondo & VPN.
- Jondo connects to the VPN and then to the mix servers - traffic exit out of JonDonym
My understanding is that I need to configure the JonDoFox portable browser (preferences - Custom Proxy Configuration) to point to JonDo (127.0.0.1 4001) and in your JonDo you enter the VPN as your compulsory proxy (https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... ml#fproxy/). Is this the right procedure?? VPN provider just sees encrypted traffic??? (by Jondo proxy SW???) which is then delivered to the first mix of the cascade. Is this statement right? If not, who is aware of my original IP, I believe the VPN provider, right??
- What if I try to run a second JonDoFox portable instance in the same time, is this possible? I mean, I may want one JonDoFox portable to be routed through Jondo/VPN (by applying the above described settings) and the other JonDoFox portable instance to always be routed by default ONLY via the VPN. Is this possible? If not, do you have any suggestion on how to achieve this? (Actually, can I also open/run a third JonDoFox portable instance in the same time, which should be routed via another custom proxy i.e. I may want to configure cascading/chaining SOCKS5 by using 3Proxy or sockschain or freecap. So I will also change its proxy settings to point to this chain)

3. (JonDo & Tor)I think I get how to have Jondo through Tor (Open the configuration file "torrc" used by Vidalia with a text editor. You may find the file in the subdirectory "Data/Tor" of your TorBrowserBundle. Change the "SocksPort" from "auto" to a fixed value (usually port 9050).
(JonDo & VPN & Tor) What I want to understand better is how to combine Jondo/VPN/Tor. I read in one of the forum posts that you need to: first redirect all application traffic with sockschain to JonDo (127.0.0.1:4001). I’ve never used sockschain, so you mean EACH and EVERY application that need to have access to the internet??? (for me, at this stage it’s only browsing I care about). Could you provide some examples? Then the second step is to configure a proxy in JonDo and use the local Tor client (127.0.0.1 9050). See: https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/help/net.html/ Tor does not need any configuration to use the VPN. Turn your VPN on (is this the last step? Or can I also do it from the start?) and the Tor traffic goes to the VPN server first.

4. Live JonDo USB: In general, I have to say that the help files https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... ndex.html/ are really great and right to the point. Do you have any tutorial or can you give me the basic guidance to create Live JonDo USB that is able to be persistent, that is to have a persistent pre-assigned dedicated space (and the persistent space to be always encrypted i.e. using truecrypt). From the help files where the UNetbootin tool is demonstrated, the picture shows that this option is only available for Ubuntu, is that right? I really need this option so as not to install all the time i.e. the tor browser bundle. Also in this case can I keep the various JonDoFox configurations (proxy settings) saved in the persistent space somehow? Finally do you have any experience with the Live JonDo USB and a VPN?

5. I have not been able to locate any thread/tutorial/advice on “How to” JonDo and VM server? Any experience on this?

That’s it for now  - thanks for your patience

Post subject: Re: Many Basic (for some) Conceptual questions for better un
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 15:44 

Quote:
(JonDoBrowser portable, I assume there is one, even though I have not found it yet)
Download JonDoFox for Windows and start the installer. During installation you can choose between "Portable Installation on USB stick" or "Desktop installation".

Quote:
JonDo & VPN
Start your VPN and afterwards JonDo. No configuration is required. Your browser proxy settings have to point to JonDo.

Quote:
What if I try to run a second JonDoFox portable instance in the same time, is this possible?
Install JonDoFox portable two times in different directories on USB stick to keep the config separated.

Quote:
JonDo & Tor
correct

Quote:
JonDo & VPN & Tor
Start your VPN, start Tor and afterwards JonDo. Configuration like "JonDo & Tor".

Quote:
Live JonDo USB
The live-cd on USB does not support persistence.

Quote:
Finally do you have any experience with the Live JonDo USB and a VPN?
The live-cd contains all required software to connenct to a VPN. See https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/ ... e-cd3.html

PPTP VPNs are not supported, because ist is not secure.

Quote:
“How to” JonDo and VM server?
You may run JonDoDaemon on the server. https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/wik ... for_Debian

The connection between your Internet application and JonDoDaemon on the server is not encrypted. You have to add a secure tunnel with "SSH" or "stunnel".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 14:59 

Happy New Year!!!

Thanks a lot for the answers above - it is really helpful...
Here are some more :-D

1) For using JonDo with TOR, I need to just chage the Network proxy/firewall of JonDO config to "I'm forced to use a proxy" and put the TOR proxy details (and in case I don't use JonDoFox or JonDoBrowser then I need to also change the browser's proxy to point to 127.0.0.1 4001).

Assuming that I use ONLY JonDoBrowser (Proxy: JonDo 127.0.0.1 4001), can I achieve the same, by just create a proxy rule
in PorxyCap for the JonDo.exe/JAP.jar (C:\Program Files (x86)\JonDo) to be proxied through TOR (SOCKS localhost 9050)?
(in this case I will leave both JonDoBrowser and JonDO network config intact pointing always to 127.0.0.1 4001)

Also, if I use Vidalia for browsing I guess I use ONLY TOR at that point (since the browser proxy is TOR), right?

2)Flash/Java recommendations
I have followed your recommendations for flash/java content (deactivated cookies and local storage, and "proxified" (forced to always go out via JonDo 127.0.0.1 4001) using ProxyCap
the java.exe, plugin-container.exe, JonDoBrowser.exe or Firefox.exe e.t.c.

In the traditional mozilla setup folder I can find the "plugin-container.exe"
(c:\\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe)
which I use to setup a Proxy Rule in ProxyCap.

Is there a plugin-container.exe in the JonDoBrowser beta setup folder? I mean, if I use ONLY JonDoBrowser and NOT firefox do I have to "proxy" the "plugin-container"? and how?
Also,by creating a rule for JonDoBrowser.exe, is it not redundant?

Also what about silverlight? any recommendations?

Once again thanks for your help

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 
tati wrote:
1) For using JonDo with TOR, I need to just chage the Network proxy/firewall of JonDO config to "I'm forced to use a proxy" and put the TOR proxy details (and in case I don't use JonDoFox or JonDoBrowser then I need to also change the browser's proxy to point to 127.0.0.1 4001).
Correct.
tati wrote:
Assuming that I use ONLY JonDoBrowser (Proxy: JonDo 127.0.0.1 4001), can I achieve the same, by just create a proxy rule
in PorxyCap for the JonDo.exe/JAP.jar (C:\Program Files (x86)\JonDo) to be proxied through TOR (SOCKS localhost 9050)?
(in this case I will leave both JonDoBrowser and JonDO network config intact pointing always to 127.0.0.1 4001)
Sounds weird to me but I have not tested that idea. Not sure why you would want to do this anyway as ProxyCap is closed-source software and getting rid of that is a good thing in a security context. Thus: stick to the mechanism that JonDo offers and you are on the safe side.
tati wrote:
Also, if I use Vidalia for browsing I guess I use ONLY TOR at that point (since the browser proxy is TOR), right?
You can't use Vidalia for browsing. It is a GUI that gives you some information regarding Tor.

tati wrote:
Also,by creating a rule for JonDoBrowser.exe, is it not redundant?

Also what about silverlight? any recommendations?
In principle, you can use the same rules as you are using with the normal Firefox as JonDoBrowser is "only" a rebranded Firefox (which uses the JonDoBrowser.exe only to start the firefox.exe actually). But be aware that the JonDoBrowser disables plugins by default for anonymity reasons.