All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Traffic Monitoring
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 13:24 

Since I understand no logs are kept, the only way to see what Jondo users are doing is by realtime monitoring all mixes in the cascade simultanously. And so no activities performed before the realtime monitoring started can be tracked.

Apart from hacking all mixes in the cascade, is it possible that legal authorities are secretly monitoring? I.e. court orders are kept secret and the mix operators are legally forced to keep there mouthes shut. Could that be possible in operator countries?

Post subject: Re: Traffic Monitoring
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 18:35 
Pantomine wrote:
Since I understand no logs are kept, the only way to see what Jondo users are doing is by realtime monitoring all mixes in the cascade simultanously. And so no activities performed before the realtime monitoring started can be tracked.
This is correct.
Quote:
Apart from hacking all mixes in the cascade, is it possible that legal authorities are secretly monitoring? I.e. court orders are kept secret and the mix operators are legally forced to keep there mouthes shut. Could that be possible in operator countries?
You mean each of the operators gets a court order saying: "You have to log every traffic in order to deanonymize every user on the cascade."? And is complying? Sure, this is possible in the future depending on the development of the laws of the countries where the mix servers are located (see the current development in Great Britain https://www.privacyinternational.org/bl ... -programme and apply that to all other countries). At the moment it is not possible (assuming neither the judges are corrupt nor our operators).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 23:34 

Thanks for the answer.

The article you linked to is quite disturbing. But that was fortunately not what I meant. If authorities can convince a judge they have a sound reason to monitor traffic of a mix operator (criminal activities or whatever comes into their minds), can they force a mix operator to not tell the Jondo organisation?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 0:23 

Pantomine wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

The article you linked to is quite disturbing. But that was fortunately not what I meant. If authorities can convince a judge they have a sound reason to monitor traffic of a mix operator (criminal activities or whatever comes into their minds), can they force a mix operator to not tell the Jondo organisation?

The way it works is thus:

In any given cascade, there are two (as in the free service) or three (as in the premium service) servers. If a court order is issued, it would have to be issued for each operator in a cascade--separately.

For example:

Operator 1 may be in Austria
Operator 2 may be in Bulgaria
Operator 3 may be in America

A court order would have to be issued for each operator individually to capture data for a specified time on each of the three servers. Generally, this is very difficult to do, since it would require an International cooperation of law enforcement and judiciaries.

I would imagine that the court order for a given operator would have to originate in the operator's country; therefore, each country would have to issue an individual court order, though this may not always be the case.

Therefore, one court order for operator is not sufficient to de-anonymize the network; it takes three court orders, in usually three different jurisdictions, to de-anonymize a cascade, though sometimes the court orders may be limited to a website.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 0:32 

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I however already did understand that. Unfortunately it still doesn't answer my question, can mix operators be forced to not tell there is an court order for monitoring. And I do understand that monitoring one step in the mix will fortunately reveal nothing ;-) It is just a legal question.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 0:42 

My mistake. I was going to answer that and I went off...

By law, when issued a court order, the operator cannot notify their network traffic that they are being monitored.

Users will never know if there is a court order, for which cascade, or for how long.

Otherwise, this defeats the whole purpose of the court order.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 

Quote:
can they force a mix operator to not tell the Jondo organisation?
No, a mix operator can say: "I need the support of the JonDos developer to enable the law enforccement function of my mix. There is no documentation about the law enforccement function available."

If a mix operator want to inform JonDos, he can go this way. If he don't want to inform JonDos, he isn't a good mix operator. ;-)

Quote:
Users will never know if there is a court order, for which cascade, or for how long.
By German law a user has to be informed about a telecommunication surveillance after the surveillance was closed. (I know, only in 1 of 5 cases the information is send to the user.)

In other countries the law is changing at the moment. The same process we can see in UK at the moment is running in US too. The NSA can monitor traffic without court orders.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:50 

"The same process we can see in UK at the moment is running in US too. The NSA can monitor traffic without court orders."

It begs the question then, if the NSA can monitor traffic without court orders - why do we have US mix's ?? (and soon UK)

Why not move over to better protected countries ??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:28 

Quote:
why do we have US mix's ??
Mix servers or mix operators? What's your question?

US exit mixes where requested by user to use websites which are only aviable for user with US IP addresses.

Our US mix operator does NOT cooperate with in the NSA in the warrantless wiretapping programm. ISPs are not forced by law to cooperate with the NSA. It is possible to run an non-logging mix server without NSA-backdoor.

Quote:
Why not move over to better protected countries ??
May be, the UK mix operators will go this way, if the new law is really comming and mix operators are affected by the law. But at the moment there are only rumors, not a real law. It is not easy to make a decision based on rumors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 23:42 

cane wrote:
Quote:
can they force a mix operator to not tell the Jondo organisation?
No, a mix operator can say: "I need the support of the JonDos developer to enable the law enforccement function of my mix. There is no documentation about the law enforccement function available."

If a mix operator want to inform JonDos, he can go this way. If he don't want to inform JonDos, he isn't a good mix operator. ;-)

So a not so good mix operator is able to enable the law enforcement function of his mix on it´s own and doesn´t need Jondos for this?

If Jondos is informed will Jondos tell it´s users about it? Or are they obliged to not make this public, even if the court order is issued in a different country and targets a non-German mix operator.

Can you explain what exactly is monitored if the law enforcement function is enabled?